Every year around the holidays I always love to have a big cookie bake with friends and family. It’s always so fun to gather everyone together, listen to Christmas music and make lots of delicious treats.
For so long, my sister and I had been searching for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. All the recipes we’d tried were great tasting, but they never held the shape of the cookie cutter! after searching for so long, we finally found the most incredible (and simple) recipe.
It was actually from our mom’s Betty Crocker cookbook that she got for christmas from her mother when she was in middle school! I think that’s so cool. But now, it’s my go to recipe. I wanted to make sure I shared it on here so that my friends and family could have access to it (just in case that old torn book somehow gets tossed in the near future).
I decided to order some higher quality sprinkles, icing dyes and cutters from orson h. gygi and it was totally worth it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups shortening (i do half butter and half crisco)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract for a fun twist)
- cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring. then blend in the flour mixture. cover and chill for at least 1 hour (but no more than about 2; it will start to get really hard).
- preheat oven to 400. roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board. then cut into desired shapes. transfer onto a non greased baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until very lightly brown.
*This recipe makes about 4 dozen 3 inch cookies.